25 g yeast (half a pack)
1,25 dl lukewarm water
1 tablespoon honey
3 dl whole wheat flour
2 dl spelled flour
0.5 dl of crushed rye
0.5 dl flaxseed
a large pot of water to boiling
1 tsp salt
1 egg for brushing
sesame seeds for garnish
1. Crumble the yeast in a bowl and dissolve in the warm waters of the finger.
2. Add the honey, salt and eggs. Then stir in the flour, spelled flour, flax seeds and crushed rye little at a time until you get a smooth dough.
3. Let rise under a cloth for about 30 minutes.
4. Put the dough on a floured surface and knead gently. Divide the dough into eight equal pieces.
5. There are two ways to form bagels. Either you roll out each piece into a sausage and pinch the ends together. I, however prefer to make each piece into a ball, flatten it a little bit and then make a hole in the middle of the bottom of a large tulle. I think it gives a nicer shape to the bagel.
6. Boil water in the pot and have two bagels at a time. Let them boil in the water for 40 seconds and then remove with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet.
7. Brush each bagel with beaten egg and garnish with sesame seeds.
8. Bake in middle of oven for about 12 minutes.